The other day I became a fan of avocado toast. I’ve seen it on Instagram every now and then and, quite honestly, I wasn’t buying into the hype. Don’t get me wrong, I know avocado is awesome and I like it very much. Its flavor is subtle, it is satisfyingly buttery, it’s great on salad and in sushi rolls, but just avocado on toast sounds so boring.
What prompt me to try it in the first place was to compensate for a bad food choice. My significant other and I had wanted to try breakfast items at a local bakery for a while and we were in the area after doing an errand. Trafiq, located on trendy Main Street, makes some amazing cakes and it didn’t take any time to decide tiramisu was an exceptional breakfast choice. Call it guilt, or just doing what any reasonable and responsible adult would do, I also ordered the “Avocado Smash” off the menu to help me make up for the amount of sugar I was about to consume. Green=healthy, look it up.
Well, it came to my table looking exactly how I expected. Smashed up avocado on a slice of toast. Green and healthy- the perfect balance to the towering slice of cake next to it. The first bite was a surprising shock to my tastebuds. It tasted like salsa verde! It was smooth and buttery, had the perfect level of acidity from the lime and brightness from the cilantro, and some saltiness from the feta cheese already mixed in. The avocado toast was a win for me and delightful enough to become the first recipe that I post on my blog!
Let us get on with it then!
Enough for 4-6 slices of toast
- 3 Avocados (Approx. 330g)
- 1 lime
- Cilantro, 1 handful minced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, minced
- 50g Feta cheese (cow)
- Salt, to taste
- Some awesome bread, I recommend sourdough
- Get yourself a large mixing bowl and scoop in your peeled and pitted avocados. You can mash them up with a potato masher.
- I recommend adding the lime juice next so the citrus keeps the avocados turning into a disgusting brown mush.
- Toss in your finely minced cilantro and jalapeno, mix everything well.
- Crumble the feta and add it to the bowl, then mix everything well.
- You may want to let the ingredients hang out together in the bowl for a few minutes to let the flavors marry. Add some salt to taste.
- Spread generously over a thick slice of toast. You can garnish with crumbled feta and a few leaves of cilantro!
There you have it folks! An easy and simple recipe to get into the wonderful world of smashed up avocado on toast. You’re life might change forever…
Try out the recipe and let me know how it goes! Offer me some tweaks and suggestions to the recipe, too. Comment below =]
Live large. Live Jennormously!